Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:15:44 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Linux module MFC candidate for testing (i386)

Hi,

In order to install and use the linux_base-7 port on -STABLE, I
prepared a patch for the linux kernel module that is indented to
be committed as soon as enough evidence exists that it will not
cause instabilities and/or breakages. The patch, currently only
for the i386 platform, can be downloaded here:

	http://www.xcllnt.net/~marcel/linux.diff.gz

What I like you to do is test this while I work on the Alpha bits.
I suggest that anyone interested in testing the patch will test
whether current installations based on the "old" linux_base port
work without any form of regression. After you've convinced yourself
that it doesn't break existing installations, you are of course
free to try it out on the "new" linux_base port.

If you find any regressions when testing the patched kernel module,
the "old" linux_base port and any of the Linux binaries you use, let
me know (make sure to CC this list). It's at this time not going to
help if you notify me of problems you encounter with the patched
kernel module, the *new* linux_base-7 port any of the Linux binaries
you use, because it's more likely that you need to upgrade your
binary than that there's a problem with either the port or the module
(provided of course the new module and the old port work fine).
We will resolve those specific issues soon enough after the dust
settles.

The FreeBSD community will be grateful, :-)

HOWTO install:
1. Make sure your kernel source tree contains -STABLE sources
   no older than the date of this email. In other words, sync
   when you read this :-)
1. Download the compressed diff from the URL given above.
2. Uncompress (gunzip) the compressed diff and apply it as follows:
	cd /sys
	patch < linux.diff
3. Build the linux module or the entire kernel (depending on how
   recent your installed kernel is) and install it.

HOWTO test:
1. After installing the module or kernel, work with the machine
   for a couple of days. During that time, pay special attention
   to your Linux programs.
2. If you have a need to install the new linux_base port, remove
   the old linux_base port first. Upgrading does not work as
   expected.

Thanks,