Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:13:45 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Elden Fenison <moon_dog@spamcop.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror))

On Sunday, 21 October 2001 at  0:33:07 +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:

> I am not sure whether the same could be said of the Koran.
> Recently, I have spoken with a few historians of religion, among
> others.  I was explicitly told that the "organic design" contained
> in the Koran is one of the worst forms of _totalitarianism_.  In
> particular, the "moderate" parts in the Koran are only a means to an
> end.

I've tried to read the Quran, and I've found it very hard going.  The
Bible is a model of clarity by comparison.  The Quran brings home very
forcibly that its scribe was not a learned man.  I don't think you can
interpret much more into its form.

> I have been revising a number of things lately.  My history
> textbooks -- I live in Italy -- simply described the splendid
> Islamic civilization in the Mediterranean (well, in Spain and
> especially in Sicily), as well as its far-reaching cultural
> influence on Western thought.

All valid points.

> They were deliberately lying:

No, like most historians they were looking at the parts which
interested them.

> a few ahem "minor" aspects (eg earlier massacres) were "omitted" or
> hinted at.  Moreover, that's just _one part_ of the story: the
> western part.  The _eastern_ part of the story is horrible to say
> the least.

You mean the Eastern story of the atrocities committed by Christians?
Those were violent times.  I don't think the Muslims were worse than
the Christians.

> I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate"
> Islam at all.

Could you explain that?  There may be fewer Muslims who just pay lip
service to their religion than there are Christians, but I wouldn't
even be sure about that.  I grew up in Malaysia, a country with Islam
as its state religion.  While I don't approve at all of enforced
religion (if you're Malay, you *must* be Muslim), until this Mulslim
fundamentalism thing sprung up, I found Islam a very gentle religion.
For most people, it still is.

> Of course, strong political reasons make all western political
> leaders speak of ahem "moderate Islam".

As opposed to moderate Christianity or moderate Judaism?  Members of
all three religions continue to commit atrocities in the name of their
religion.

Greg