Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:50:24 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Ultra160/Ultra360 controller?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 13:57:57 -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> > > I would suggest the Adaptec 19160.  It has the exact same connectors as the
> > > 29160, but costs less.
> >   ^^^^^-- that should be '29160N'
> >
> > > www.microx-press.com sells the white box (i.e. no cables) version for
> > > $155, and the kit version for $226. (versus $207 and $284 for the white box
> > > and kit versions of the 29160N)
> > >
> > > It works fine with FreeBSD, and should work fine under Windows as well.
>
> For that matter, what is the difference between the 29160N and the
> 19160?  I
> remember seeing both of those cards on Adaptec's site awhile back and I
> still can't figure out what the difference is between them other than
> the
> 29160N mentioning support for Unix as well as Windows.

The only physical difference between the cards I believe is the silk
screened name on the board.  The BIOS will also be different (different
name) and the PCI ID is different.  Other than that, they're the same, and
should perform identically under FreeBSD (or Linux).

As far as other OSes, the 19160 only has drivers for Windows, but the
29160N has drivers for Windows, SCO, Solaris, Netware, OS/2, etc.

It's possible there are other differences in the Windows driver, but I
don't really know for sure.

Under FreeBSD it should behave identically to a 29160N.

> FYI, I have a 19160 in my PC and it runs like a champ.

:)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry