Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net
Subject:   Re: PXE boot vs. DHCP

In article <200110240705.f9O75Fo49531@gits.dyndns.org>,
Cyrille Lefevre  <clefevre@citeweb.net> wrote:
> John Polstra wrote:
> >
> > What is the reason you think it would be better to put the solution
> > into dhclient-enter-hooks?
>
> IMHO, for instance, because this hack is only needed at PXE level
> not after, I am right ?

Not quite.  It's not the "PXE level," it's the normal operating state
of the system.  The only difference is that it was booted with PXE
instead of by some other means.  PXE booting is being used more and
more at large installations.  My change addresses a common situation
which is becoming more common all the time.

Shouldn't the standard dhclient installation function properly,
regardless of how the system was booted?  I think it should.

Also, I don't feel that my patch is a hack.  The entire purpose of
dhclient's PREINIT phase is to put the network interface into an
enabled state so that IP packets can be sent.  If the interface is
already up, then it is already in that state.  By failing to check the
interface first, the current dhclient-script needlessly destroys its
configuration and hangs the system.  That is a bug, and my patch fixes
it.

John
--
  John Polstra