Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:27:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfilter changes in rc.network (was: Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc.network)

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:45:11PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> I get the feeling this - inappropriate - setting of a _program
> variable is due to my misguided suggestion in PR conf/20202
> which verbatimly made it into the FreeBSD start scripts.  If it
> doesn't fit the usual rules feel free to correct it! :)  After
> all I was a newbee to FreeBSD then (and still I'm not a guru or
> seasoned hacker:) as well as I understand Darren to do his
> daytime job with SunOS / Solaris and since he might need some
> hints on how his software fits even better into FreeBSD.  I guess
> he will happily accept patches improving a wrong approach.
>
> Maybe there's need for the following parts:
> - ipfilter_program
> - ipfilter_prerules_flags
> - ipfilter_rules
> - ipfilter_postrules_flags
> ?  The current situation comes from the fact that I wanted to
> have a single variable with the rules file only - to check for
> its existance (if such an additional constraints check matters).

Done.  I tested on my -current (compiled on Oct 22) the patch you can
find at http://labs.gr/~charon/patches/diff.04.ipf-rc-U
It is functionally equivalent to our current rc.network behavior, but
it uses the variables you proposed, and it moves all the flags out of
all the XXX_program variables.

Comments on this are more than welcome...

-giorgos