Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:30:54 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SIGPFE problems on Athlon processors running 4.3-STABLE

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:51:12PM +0200, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> Finally, gnupg also have problems.  It simply never quits waiting for
> entropy during key generation.  I try to use the smallest key size,
> but gnupg locks up even though I use the machine and the keyboard for
> hours.

I had that problem when using /dev/urandom as a file during openssl
rsa key generation.  Seems openssl reads to end-of-file on the paths
you give it as sources of randomness (they suggest large compressed
data files).  But /dev/urandom never returns EOF, just increasingly
non-random bytes.

Changing to /dev/random fixed that.

How are you collecting entropy during your key generation?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com