Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:03:19 +0100
From:      Ashley Penney <ashp@unloved.org>
To:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR handling..

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:27:39AM -0500, Brad Laue said:
> Minor operational question, how many are in charge of the PR's sent
> regarding bugs? The number of open reports seems to increase at a fairly
> constant rate with no resolution to especially serious bugs. Is it a lack
> of people working on them, or a lack of people working on them because of
> the upcoming -CURRENT release?
>
> Mind you, the open PR's are largely not showstoppers, which is damn good,
> but I'm curious as to the amount of time spent on userland bugs or
> conflicts that might otherwise be considered innocuous - in many common
> cases these bugs can even preclude implementation of FreeBSD in certain
> environments.

I've currenty got a bit of time, and I'm exploring the entire PR database
from beginning to end.  Already I have a list of about 300 PR's to close
and I'm only up to pr24238.

I have another three weeks before I'll be busy again, and I plan to use
this time to get as many PRs closed as possible.  As I'm not a commiter,
I'm channeling all the work I'm doing through a single commiter, which
means there's a fairly big lag between my lists and actual action. :)

The work is going fairly well, a good chunk of the PRs are either fixed
by now, or are unreproducable.  I'm working on the principle that if we
close the PR, it can always be reopened if someone complains.  I think
the trouble we have is that the PR system is just too damn big.  Nobody
can (realistically) wade through that lot to fix bugs.

[If any other commiters want to volunteer some time to answer some stupid
questions and close a giant amount of PRs...  Give me a yell].
--
Ashley Penney | ashp@unloved.org