Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:45:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mini survey. Backup service for BSDs

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Paul Robinson wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2001 19:39, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > I have been pondering the idea of making a backup service for BSDs.
> > It seems there are many for windows, but few (none?) for BSDs (or that
> > would work with BSDs).
>
> I think you might be targetting the wrong crowd at this point in time -
> backup systems like you're proposing are really useful if you have a desktop
> with loads of important info on, but you can't afford a DAT or similar, and
> you want an off-site backup. As the current market segment FreeBSD sits in is
> mostly the ISP-like data center or hard-core sysadmin crowd, most of the
> current users will have a backup solution of their own.

I was thinking home users and small offices. For instance what got me
started thinking on this is a small office that I manage. Before I used to
have a tape unit at the office. Later I configured an automatic backup to
a windows machine. On 9-11 due to the terrorist attack my client lost
access to his office for almost two weeks. That got me thinking on the
need to have an outisde backup.

> However, what I would say is that this is something that would be really cool
> if FBSD started seeing more desktop market share, and I can image that it
> would be a very neat system to sell FBSD to managers with.

Don't see that happening soon.

> I was contemplating a few months ago coming up with some sort of open,
> public, distributed backup system that used something like PGP or similar
> crypto across a peer-to-peer-like architecture. And make it free.

What would be the benefit?

> If you can work out how to make sure the data on your system is
> secure, but they also manage to make a recovery when the private key
> disappears with the machine that gets screwed, then you might be onto
> something. ;-)

That remains the most difficult element.