Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:22:59 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/boot/i386/cdboot Makefile cdboot.s

As John Baldwin wrote:

>   This is a new CD bootstrap utility designed to replace cdldr.
>   According to the El Torito standard for CD booting, a CD may boot
>   in "No emulation" mode without using a floppy image.

I once wrote such a bootstrap, or rather: i tried.  None of the
available BIOSes by that time actually supported no emulation
booting...  Do you know whether the situation has improved drastically
since?  (You can still find the old traces in
/home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/cdboot, but probably only the later emulation
boot version.  By that time, i wrote all of this for Plutotech.  But
Ken later told me that they gave up that route.)