Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:27:26 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, john_wilson100@excite.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HPT370 RAID or Vinum?

> > And why is that ? for RAID's with the same parameters, I'd expect the=
> > to perform equal, maybe with a sligtht advantage to the ATA driver si=
nce it
> > saves a few cycles by being tighter integrated.
> =

> Agreed.  I don't think the RAIDs will have the same parameters.  Most
> of these cheap controllers have fairly simplistic algorithms.  Note
> that I said "guess", though.  In my language, that means "don't know
> for sure".  I'd really like to see some objective benchmarks.

Er.

These "cheap controllers" don't have any algorithms at all to speak of; =

they're just ATA controllers with BIOS code that supposedly understands =

striping/mirroring.

The "algorithms" are in the 'ar' driver, which should really just be a =

vinum shim.

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his