Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:21:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: cvsup

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> Now, I'm getting ready to update for the second time, and I have read
> various people on this list running into trouble due to "stale
> dependencies", and suggested solutions to this which range from "rm -rf
> /usr/obj" (sounds a bit scary) to "make clean" (sounds more friendly).
>
> My gut feel is that I should just start with "make clean", and then follow
> your procedure as above again.

Now, you can just blow /usr/obj out without any ill efects. Whenever I do
my regular stable buildworld on Saturdays, I start like this:

cd /usr/obj
chflags -R noschg *
rm -R *

The second command unsets the (system) immutable flag for everything in
/usr/obj. Otherwise, files in there might refuse to be deleted. Next, with
the rm -R command, you totally wipe out /usr/obj. Now you can change to
/usr/src, then start your make buildworld, and everything under /usr/obj
will be recreated again.

You may either want to wipe out /usr/obj *after* each make installworld
(especially if you have little HD space), or you might leave it untouched
*until* you start your next buildworld.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org