Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:32:15 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com (Sandeep Joshi)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking down "BTX halted"

> I changed the disklabels on a few SCSI disks and now
> I keep getting these "BTX halted" messages every time
> I reboot.

The most likely cause of this is that you're messing up the disks to the
point that your BIOS (probably your SCSI controller BIOS) is crashing when
it tries to read them.

> They dont occur if I disconnect those disks.  They occur
> even after I rewrite those labels.  Its not dedicated mode
> or whatever now..

You must have missed something. 8)

> I am willing to post the entire system configuration
> but it would be really nice if instead someone could
> tell me _HOW_ to determine the problem.

If the above guess is correct, you're looking at a BIOS bug.  You might
try updating your SCSI controller/motherboard BIOS, but there's no
guarantee that'll fix the problem.  The only real solution is to hot-plug
the disks, camcontrol rescan, then dd zeroes over the heads of the disks
and then re-lable them safely.

> A colleague tells me its possible to track the problem
> from the registers(cs,es,..) in the message dump.

That would tell you where, exactly, the crash is occuring, and would make
it possible to absolutely finger the culprit.  What's the value of the cs
register?  If it's above 0xa000, then the BIOS is at fault.