Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:19:59 -0600
From:      Jeff Sapp <jasapp@pelennor.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   large ide drive

Hello, I've run into some trouble getting FreeBSD installed on
my Maxtor 30 gigabyte drive. Previously, I had installed FreeBSD 4.3 on
a Maxtor 20 gig drive without doing anything special (at least to my knowledge).
This install if off a freshly burned copy of 4.4

I've read all the documentation I can find on this topic, but if I've
overlooked something, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

The harddrive in my bios, under LBA, shows up as 3736/255/63.
I do understand that the boot slice cannot be larger than 1024 Cylinders.
When fdisk runs during the FreeBSD install, I choose NOT to dangerously
dedicated the entire drive to FreeBSD, and I am given the chance to edit
the drive geometry. After changing the drive to 3736/255/63, at the top,
it says the drive is 29000 something megabytes. I can create a 2 gigabyte
slice, but I am not able to create a second slice to use the rest of the
drive. I wouldn't mind having a 2 gig boot slice, and 27 gig slice for
some of the other partitions.

Is this something that needs to be done after the install?
If that is the case, some help in that area would be appriciated.

Please reply directly as I am not on the list.

Thanks in advanced,
Jeff