Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:16:39 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Things to do

Doug Rabson wrote:
> An updated random list of things which need doing:
>  	DDB 'n' command
>  	Remote GDB support
>  	link_elf backend

I'll take a shot at this unless somebody else wants to do it.  We can't
have those sparc64 guys having kld's before us and going unchallenged. :-)

>  	FPSWA support

Should be done.  There is test code at:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/fpswa/
There are four examples from the manual:
"Itanium Processor Floating point Software Assistance and Floating
Point Exception Handling" manual.  The code is out of sync with reality
though, the manual says two of the examples should cause a FP trap/fault,
but in fact three of them do.  (I cant change the fact that the hardware
causes a trap on their code when the docs say the hardware doesn't. :-).

>  	Workaround ar.itc errata
>  	Figure out why loader.rc hangs the loader

Almost certainly a trap/fault (divide by zero or something).  I'll look
for this soon if nobody else spots it.

>  	Use AllocatePages in copy.c to make sure we don't step on EFI
>  	Resize VHPT based on physical memory
>  	ia32 emulation

This one will be really interesting.. I was going to have a shot at it
but then I remembered the 4K page issue.  In theory we could probably
just let getpagesize() return an 8K or 16K page size, but we have to do
nasty things to executables, ie: make up to the last 4k (for 8k pages) or
up to 12K (for 16k pages) of text segments writeable.. And possibly tweak
ld-elf.so.1 to expect trouble mmapping two different things to the same
logical page.

>  	Write pipelined bcopy/memcpy

I thought I saw some sample code from intel somewhere...

>  	Make sure that busdma works on >4GB machines
>  	Make all drivers use busdma

Bill Paul did the framework for this in two ethernet drivers. That should
be not too hard to replicate elsewhere since he broke the ground.  It should
then be "simple" (haha) to do the bouncing etc.

>  	ISA dma
>  	New toolchain (almost done)
>  	Rewrite db_trace.c to use unwind records
> 	Ptrace support + port GDB.
> 	SMP (getting closer)
> 	EPC-based syscalls instead of break syscalls

Linux still uses break, right?

Cheers,
-Peter