Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:55:26 +0100
From:      Frits Westra <fwestra@hetnet.nl>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD on an IBM P75?

Hello all,

The last couple of weeks I've been browsing through many FreeBSD
websites but I still can't make up my mind whether switching to
FreeBSD is a good idea or not.

This is the vintage pc that's available for FreeBSD:

IBM PC330 (Pentium 75)
16 MB RAM
540 MB IDE HDD
33k6 Modem
There is no CD player (yet)
Currently it has Win95, which I want to remove.

This is what I'd like to have (in order of importance):

1. Excellent email handling capabilities with a good searchable
email archiving system.

2. A swift wordprocessor with multiple language spell check that
can import Word docs, but doesn't need to generate them.

3. Internet browser (Opera?)

4. Maybe some simple astronomy software.

That't all I want to use.

I'm used to DOS command line operations and don't need a
graphical interface. A few simple menus here and there would be
nice though.

My question: Is FreeBSD the way to go?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Best wishes,
Frits Westra -- fwestra@hetnet.nl

-- Net-Tamer in conjunction with NTReader --