Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:11:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wireless network, next step ...

Peter Radcliffe writes:
| "Brian T . Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org> probably said:
| > Or you can just build them into your kernel in the first place.
|
| You can, yes.
|
| > This is another religious issue, like the write caching, but it
| > seems to me to be mostly a win to have things built in the kernel to
| > start with if it's a device that you will be using a large
| > percentage of the time that your computer is plugged in.
|
| Then you can't upgrade it without a reboot. It really makes very
| little difference to devices that you don't need to boot.

I do this a lot so I can work on the Cisco/Aironet driver on basically
a live system.  I have a script the powers down the pccard, kldunload,
kldload the new one then powers up the pccard.

However, just like ifconfig can kldload an interface it seems
pccardd could do the same.   I might look at doing that.

Doug A.