Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:30:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

:> FWIW, I'm seeing this as well.  However, this appears to be a new
:> occurance, as we were using a FreeBSD 3.X system for our reference test
:> platform.
:
:Someone recently submitted a PR about TCP based NFS being significantly
:slower under 4.X. I wonder if it could be related?
:
:	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/32141
:
:There is quite a lot of detail in the PR and the submitter has no
:trouble reproducing the problem.
:
:	David.

   Hmm.  I'll play with it a bit tomorrow.  Er, later today.  One thing
   I noticed recently with NFS/TCP is that I have to run 'nfsiod -n 4'
   on the client to get reasonable TCP performance.  I don't think I
   had to do that before.  It sure sounds similar... like a delayed-ack
   problem or improper transmit side backoff.

   It would be nice if someone able to reproduce the problem can test
   the TCP connection with newreno turned off (net.inet.tcp.newreno)
   and delayed acks turned off (net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack).  If that
   fixes the proble it narrows down our search considerably.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>