Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:22:15 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:11:00PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> * Many people use FreeBSD as a desktop OS.  Think the same people
>   who use Win98, but only slightly smarter.  These people are
>   'sysadmins' only in the sense that they have a root password.
>   When FreeBSD can't fill their DSL line and Linux can, they will
>   switch to Linux never knowing what the real problem was.

we are going to gain/lose these people at any blow of wind, any
spam that says "X is better than Y" will cause them to switch,
and they'll never bother to read why or how to cure it.
Do we care ? Maybe. Do we have the energy to fight FUD ? I doubt it.

> To extend your logic, we might as well make it default to 4k, since
> that is the most resource conservative, and anyone who cares will
> increase it.

My logic is that I would like to increase the default to 32 or 64k,
but if this involves starting an endless discussion to reach
consensus on whether this can be done or not, I prefer to fight
other battles (maybe equally pointless).

	cheers
	luigi