Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:50:42 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

* Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org> [011130 13:26] wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:11:00PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > * Many people use FreeBSD as a desktop OS.  Think the same people
> >   who use Win98, but only slightly smarter.  These people are
> >   'sysadmins' only in the sense that they have a root password.
> >   When FreeBSD can't fill their DSL line and Linux can, they will
> >   switch to Linux never knowing what the real problem was.
>
> we are going to gain/lose these people at any blow of wind, any
> spam that says "X is better than Y" will cause them to switch,
> and they'll never bother to read why or how to cure it.
> Do we care ? Maybe. Do we have the energy to fight FUD ? I doubt it.
>
> > To extend your logic, we might as well make it default to 4k, since
> > that is the most resource conservative, and anyone who cares will
> > increase it.
>
> My logic is that I would like to increase the default to 32 or 64k,
> but if this involves starting an endless discussion to reach
> consensus on whether this can be done or not, I prefer to fight
> other battles (maybe equally pointless).

I was about to set the default in -stable to Leo's suggested values,
it seems that -current already has the delta he wants in it,
my question is, was anything else changed along the lines of the
number of nmbclusters allocated in -current to go along with
this change?

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3