Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:11:00 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:29:28AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> It is not a big deal to move the default to 32 or 64k, and I'd
> vote for that, but if a sysadmin is unable to have a look at this,
> then the problem is in the sysadmin, not in FreeBSD!

I disagree, on two points:

* Many people use FreeBSD as a desktop OS.  Think the same people
  who use Win98, but only slightly smarter.  These people are
  'sysadmins' only in the sense that they have a root password.
  When FreeBSD can't fill their DSL line and Linux can, they will
  switch to Linux never knowing what the real problem was.

* Most sysadmins shouldn't be bothered with this.  People running
  news or IRC servers, or huge (100+ box) web farms might know
  these tricks, but the guy who sets up a server to dump 100k/sec
  average of web pages shouldn't be bothered.

To extend your logic, we might as well make it default to 4k, since
that is the most resource conservative, and anyone who cares will
increase it.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org