Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:48:16 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 08:39:05PM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 05:30:33PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > I just committed to  current (and soon to stable) some code to log
> > _failures_ in mbuf allocations, but that is only meant as an aid
> > to remove worse code in the drivers.
>
> Note that if we implement a 'fair share' buffering scheme we would
> never get a failure, which would be a good thing.  Unfortuantely
> fair share is relatively complicated.

i don't get this. There is no relation among the max number
of mbufs and their potential consumers, such as network interfaces,
sockets, dummynet pipes, and others. And so it is unavoidable
that even giving 1 mbuf each, you'll eventually fail an allocation.

> > (Plus, just setting a threshold is not good, you also want
> > some histeresys, because you can easily conceive a system that
> > runs at XX % mbuf occupation, whatever XX you pick.)

> With fair share or some other type of setup I would agree.  Given
> our current 'things fail badly if you run out' I think a warning

I should have said "any XX != 100".
But note that what you say about bad failures is not really true.
Many pieces of the kernel now are pretty robust in the face of
failures -- certainly dummynet pipes, and the "sis" and "dc" drivers
are, or i could not have tested the "run out of mbuf" message code
which i just committed.  I just think that the latter should not
became a further source of trouble by filling up /var/log.

	cheers
	luigi