Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:05:09 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern uipc_mbuf.c

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 08:56:23PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:23:03PM -0500, Bosko Milekic wrote:
>
> > 	Actually, I was vouching for the removal of the change(s) in
> > subr_mbuf.c for two reasons:
>
> I read the exact opposite, and it did make sense to me to remove
> the code in vm_kern.c and keep the one in subr_mbuf.c
>
> The test i was running was on a system with 64MB of memory and a
> voluntarily low number of clusters (to see if error msgs would come
> out without crashing the box), and incomnig traffic on the interface.
>
> In this case (which I think is pretty common, or at least not
> a rare one), all allocations are attempted with M_NOWAIT and you
> can be assured the code was triggering in on every single incoming packet,
> so it really needs to be rate limited (which doesn't cost anything,
> have you seen how I have implemented it ?).
> And the msg in vm_kern.c did give the correct suggestion. If you
> are short of RAM, you are screwed anyways!
>
> Given that a single printf in subr_mbuf.c covers all cases, i do
> believe we should really keep this one.

  The message in vm/vm_kern.c covers all the cases that are solved by
increasing NMBCLUSTERS. If it's rate limited, then what you are looking
at doing is solved. The message in subr_mbuf.c is therefore one of two
things: eithe rmisleading or redundant. If you need to increase
NMBCLUSTERS, you'll always hit the message in vm/vm_kern.c at least
once, and all you really want is to hit it once. After that, if you
haven't noticed, your connections will start to hang and make sure that
you have.

> 	cheers
> 	luigi
>
> >  1. They can be mis-leading, i.e. the solution in that case is rarely to
> >     increase mbuf_map and clust_map sizes (at this point, the failure
> > 	may actually be due to malloc() failing to allocate a bucket or lack
> > 	of RAM, not virtual address space in mbuf and clust maps).
> >
> >  2. The printf() in vm/vm_kern.c should more than cover it. Even that
> >     one (the one in vm/vm_kern.c) doesn't really need to be rate
> > 	limited, because mb_alloc() is smart enough to figure out that if it
> > 	fails allocating with kmem_malloc() when the allocation is with
> > 	M_WAITOK, that it is due to lack of virtual address space in either
> > 	mbuf_map or clust_map and will stop calling kmem_malloc() for the
> > 	given map any more -- but if you really want you can leave the one
> > 	in vm/vm_kern.c there--- it doesn't really bother me as much as the
> > 	first one).
> >
> > 	As for -STABLE, it may have more validity, I haven't looked yet.
> >
> > > 	cheers
> > > 	luigi
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --