Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   offtopic: assembly

Hi, i am freebsd user since 3.1-release, I am reading
Peter Abel book about assembly and i have the
following doubt:
I want to understand Why each byte (8 bit of data and
1 bit of parity) has one bit of parity?
What is parity for? Why the processor needs to know if
certain byte in memory is "par" or "impar" (i dont
know how to say it in english..).
Please, give me a *wide* explaination, that's the part
of the book i dont get it.
The memory is divided in 'bytes', each one with an
address starting, right?, so, when an instruction
needs to check a byte, the processor looks its parity,
right?  If so, What for? why? what is the idea? what
makes the difference from 'par' to 'no par'?, usually,
why an instruction needs to check a byte? What part of
the program do the requested byte belongs (Code, data,
stack)?

Thank you very much.

p.s. Anyone know a site like linux's
www.linuxassembly.org?
I want to know the freebsd developer's resources on
web ( i am not lucky to buy books online and my
bookstores arent unix-focused:)), i want to understand
freebsd internals!