Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:17:16 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
Cc:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4G phisical memory kernel trap

In the last episode (Dec 05), Varshavchick Alexander said:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:57:22PM +0300, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
> > > I have a PIII box with 4G phisical memory and FreeBSD 4.2 and it
> > > traps while booting - "fatal trap 12 page fault". With less than
> > > 4G memory the server is working good. There is no MAXMEM option
> > > in the kernel (as is by default). What would you suggest to make
> > > this box running with 4G? May be, specifying MAXMEM slightly less
> > > than 4G, or what else? Thank you.
> >
> > Try upgrading it to 4.4-STABLE, there has been dome some work
> > regarding this since 4.2
>
> As the matters stand, it's a heavily loaded working system and I
> can't afford experimenting with any major system changes. Tweaking
> kernel, boot loaded are allowed, but not major version upgrades.

You can run a 4.4 kernel on a 4.2 userland with no problem.  On some of
my production boxes, I'm running a 4.4 kernel on a 4.0 userland :)  You
should be able to build a 4.4 kernel, copy it to /kernel.test, and do a
quick reboot to see if it works.  That way you can fall back to the 4.2
kernel if you have problems.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com