Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:17:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        "."@babolo.ru, schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Cc:        brandt@fokus.gmd.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, tofergus@yahoo.co.uk
Subject:   Re: tar and nodump flag (fwd)

>From babolo@links.ru Thu Dec  6 00:41:54 2001

>Joerg Schilling writes:
>> STAR Option	Description							Gnu tar equiv.	Remarks
>> ===========	===========							=============	===================
>> file=nm,f=nm	use 'nm' as tape instead of stdin/stdout			-f		close to identical
>May be close to identical in function, but not in convenience
>What about f=*.[ch] or f=something<tab to expand or ^d to list>

Here is a more complete desciption of the features of the getargs()
function that is used to parse the command line arguments of all
schily programs:

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
As a hint for readers to the star manual page, star uses getargs() to parse
the command line. Getargs() is much more flexible than getopt() and is even
older than getopt(). The following features

-	All single char boolean options and all single char increment type
	options may be combined into a single string starting with a single
	dash (-).

-	getargs() has a compatibility mode for GNU programs and allows to
	preceede long options with a double dash (--) instead of the usual
	single dash (-).

-	All options that take an argument are listed in the man page for
	better readability of the manual as:

		option=arg

	but the following variants may appear in the actual command line:

		option=arg
		option= arg
		-option=arg
		-option= arg
		-optionarg
		-option arg

-	A separate double dash (--) may preceede any argument that looks like
	an option and specifies that the immediately following argument is
	a file type argument.

I am not shure whether I should ad this to all of my maual pages or whether I
should add a "SEE ALSO" note in the man page and include the getargs() man page
with all programs.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling