Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 00:11:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux - Patches #2 & #3

:Hello all.
:
:I read with interest (and fair ignorance ;-) ) the thread about delayed
:ACKs in the TCP/IP stack.
:...
:If Matt or any other qualified hackers can make the time to double-check
:my patches, I'd appreciate it. Matt's first patch didn't apply (no NewReno
:in 4.2REL), and the third patch (to tcp_input.c) required a little more work
:(I changed tests for 'tcp_delack_enabled' to 'DELAY_ACK()'). I'd just like
:some assurance I got it right.
:
:All in all, kudos to Matt for this. In day-to-day use, I can "feel" the
:improvementi, and everything seems as solid as ever!
:
:Dave

   Ach.  If you want my specific attention (or any FreeBSD developer's
   specific attention) you should always Cc: the person specifically.
   Otherwise my mail filter won't put it in my personal mail box :-)

   In anycase, your patches look fine.  In fact, you not only applied
   my fixes you also applied a fix in the delayed-ack check that was
   made (by someone else) some time after 4.2Rel -- the callout_pending()
   check in DELAY_ACK() fixed a serious bug in prior releases all by itself.
   Kudos!

   I'm glad people have been testing this and getting such good results.
   I MFC'd it fairly quickly into stable (because TCP was seriously messed
   up) and its nice to get feedback that justifies the decision.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>