Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:08:55 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tangent for discussion: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux

On Dec 09, at 12:11 AM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    In anycase, your patches look fine.  In fact, you not only applied
>    my fixes you also applied a fix in the delayed-ack check that was
>    made (by someone else) some time after 4.2Rel -- the callout_pending()
>    check in DELAY_ACK() fixed a serious bug in prior releases all by itself.
>    Kudos!

I know it's been discussed before, but if this is considered a "serious
bug", shouldn't it also be applied to supported-but-not-stable versions?

RELENG_(release - 1) seems to be the target of "backported" security fixes,
and I have no problem with that - a line has to be drawn somewhere - but
I (and likely many others) would love to see things such as this (things
that aren't security focused) be made to RELENG_(release - 1).

If I hadn't caught the DELACK thread on this list, I never would have
known that TCP/IP throughput could be fixed/enhanced so easily - for me,
that is, I only applied a patch, but pro'lly not for Matt.

Another candidate for this sort of thing I'd like to see "backported" to
RELENG_(release - 1) would be DIRPREFS, but that might be asking too
much; I don't know how many modules were hacked for that.

I took it upon myself to add ICH sound support to my 4.2REL kernel and
another 4.3REL kernel, based on the original patches submitted. This is
an example of what pro'lly could be omitted from RELENG_(release - 1),
but a FreeBSD.org sanctioned facility where the likes of us unsupported-
or-supported-but-not-stable hackers could upload/submit patches would
be a nice thing.

Just my two-cents' worth of thoguht food.
Dave

--