Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:17:03 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tangent for discussion: FreeBSD performs worse that Linux

On Dec 09, at 05:51 PM, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 11:15:23AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> > I could maintain a "not-FreeBSD-sanctioned" site for patches of -CURRENT
> > and -STABLE code applyable to previous releases, but that would only muddy
> > the FreeBSD maintenance and distribution waters that I think work well for
> > what they're intended to address, as well as open myself up to all sorts
> > of support and maintenance headaches.
>
> Actually, that's probably the best thing you could do.  Because then it
> shows that you've got the commitment to do this sort of thing and
> maintain it.
>
> The project isn't short of people having good ideas, it's short of
> people willing to do the actual work.  If you do this, and show that the
> idea is viable, it will be much easier to come back in a few months time
> to get these patches integrated in to the various RELENG_* branches, and
> to bring you in as a committer.

The "viability" thing is the catch, no?

Seems to me that were I to do this, and I would, it would only be as viable
as the patches themselves. That is, I (and any contributors) would have to
be able to stay abreast of those things going on in -STABLE that could get
backported to previous releases ("could" being a significant word here).

With bugs@, hackers@, stable@, current@, and cross-referencing the CVS
tree(s) against these lists, just staying abreast of things seems pretty
daunting.

> I'm sure we can make sure that any site you set up to do this is linked
> to from the FreeBSD web site.

So far, I've made three patchfiles that can be applied to 4.2REL and 4.3REL.
Not exactly the repertoire one would need to garner interest and momentum.

Dave

--