Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:28:50 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: changes to MI bus code for sparc64

> > The PCI_BROKEN_INTPIN/PCI_INTLINE_0_BAD seem to be the same thing;
> > they should be protected by a single name (probably PCI_BROKEN_INTPIN)
> > in the #ifdef in pci.c; it should be "all or nothing" on a single
> > value.  As it is, you must define one if you define the other, but
> > not vice versa, and the effect seems to be linked, anyway, so you
> > might as well use a single protection mechanism.
>
> It is not uncommon that i386 BIOSes to set the intline register to 0
> when it should really be 0xff (to indicate an unrouted interrupt). So,
> I figured that it might be useful to make this an extra option.

No.  Fix the i386-specific config space accessor to convert 0 to 255.

If you haven't seen the theme here yet; here it is.  The MD layers should
correct for platform-specific aberrations in the PCI implementation where
possible.

Adding compile-time options to MI code which indirectly relate exclusively
to MD PCI issues is just the Wrong Thing to Do.