Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:10:45 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does anyone know if the Broadcom BCM5700 has problems with HW csum?

>* David Greenman <dg@root.com> [011215 03:12] wrote:

>> >I believe you will find that the problem is related to the firmware
>> >handling of VLAN tagging, and that the problem only exists if VLAN
>> >tagging is enabled.
>>
>>    You would believe wrongly, then, because the problem that I was seeing did
>> not involve VLAN tags.
>
>You're probably incorrect, it doesn't matter if vlan tags are active
>or not, it's most likely wheather or not the firmware is being asked
>to handle them at all.

   I would think it would get the checksum wrong most of the time if that
were the case. It seems to only have problems with small packets, but the
behavior is pretty strange, so who knows. Do you have some specific knowledge
about Broadcom and brokeness related to VLAN tag support when not using
VLANs?

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.