Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:36:30 +0900 (JST)
From:      Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ru@FreeBSD.org, kato@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hw.machine on PC98

In article <20011214173056.A94075@sunbay.com>
Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> What do you think about making hw.machine display "pc98"
> on PC98's?

*I* think that hw.machine should be "pc98" on PC-98.

But, *even if* we change hw.machine for PC-98, we MUST implement '-p'
option for uname(1) and use it instead of '-m' before change
hw.machine.

And then, there is an opinion that hw.machie for IBM PC/AT should be
also changed to the other one (ex. x86pc). 'i386' does not represent
IBM PC/AT architecture, but represent CPU architecture.

Do you think about this?

And, NetBSD/pc98 guys started on merging pc98 support to main tree. I
heard that the machine name for NetBSD/i386 is changed (x86pc?) when
NetBSD/pc98 is merged to main tree. If so, it is a convenience that
both FreeBSD and NetBSD use the same machine name.

---
TAKAHASHI Yoshihiro
THE CENTER for INFORMATION SCIENCE, Kogakuin Univ.