Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 01:46:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Political Correctness on -chat (was: Why no Indians and Arabs?)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> It seems that I have completely misunderstood at least the US members
> of the FreeBSD project.  FreeBSD represents a new social phenomenon,
> and we've already discussed the demography in terms of male/female
> (im)balance and age distribution.  An obvious other one is cultural
> distribution.

agreed.

> It seems that people in the USA have a hangup about this; sorry, guys,
> I didn't want to offend anybody.  I don't think there's anything wrong
> in the question, though.  As somebody else pointed out, there are
> times when you want to recognize people by their appearance or
> ethnic/cultural background.  I don't agree with his criteria, but it's
> an obvious thing to do.  I grew up with a large number of both Arabic
> and Indian friends (to the point where, at the age of 12, I spoke
> English with a Tamil accent), so you can hardly claim I was
> discriminating against them.  I'm sure that most of my friends of this
> time would be as surprised about the reactions to my message as I am.

i've found it's mostly motivated by people feeling guilty and offended for
noticing someones ethnic background. there is a certain amount of paranoia
about race here in the US; after all, it's only relatively recently that
the "Separate but equal" laws have been repealed or made unconsitutional.

i have to admit, this thread did catch me off guard, not so much because
of the reactions to it, rather the fact that this came up at all. while i
don't doubt your intentions with this (how could i? this would be
interesting data), i can see how some people would take this badly.

> Why should that mean there's nothing to talk about?  I now know of one
> representative each of the groups I'm talking about.  Why so few?

right now, it may be a bad time to ask this kind of a question, being a
mere 3 months since septemer 11th (i wish there were a better set of words
for this, since naming something after a date is just odd). there is still
quite a bit of racist reactions going on around here, and honestly, i
can't blame anyone for not telling about their background or ethnicity.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche