Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:25:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        dreyenga@telus.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of JFS, why not a whole new FS?

In article <001301c1874d$50ae0d20$02000003_tornado@ns.sol.net>,
	dreyenga@telus.net writes:
> How about writing a new filesystem based on UFS? This would save all of the
> hassle that JFS would bring: licensing, porting time, etc. Of course, it
> would likely bust any compatibility desired.
>
> What I'm thinking is a filesystem that takes the current UFS and improves
> upon it. It could support larger partitions, more partitions in a slice, and
> perhaps a "Journal" partition (like the current "swap" partition) among
> other new features.
>
> What do others have to say about this? Are there any major flaws in my idea?
> It just seems to me that this would cut a lot of hassle.

If I might: "Why?".

UFS/FFS is/are proven through time. Throw in the softupdates technology,
and you have the upside of journalling, without the downside of journalling.
No. I'm not going into details, first because I'm not qualified, and second,
others already have.

Was it Matt? I don't recall now, who made the observation, [sic] "Why does
the Linux camp get so excited about the support for so many filesystems?
Pick one, and make it the best you can.".

In a recent thread about NFS performance, one post mentioned that ReiserFS
died quite early in the test. If it's that much better, why didn't it
survive that much better?

The one thing that journalling FSes deliver that FFS with softupdates doesn't
right now is a 'fsck'less boot after an uncontrolled shutdown. I have read
that the Project has this on their TODO list.

I know a post like this one can start a flameware for statements made
without facts to back them up, but the facts exist, have been pointed out
many times, and I don't want to mis-quote or mis-appropriate them.

> Those are just my $0.02. I know I've said it before, but I wasn't nearly as
> clear last time.
>
> -Craig

And this is just my two-cents' worth, as well.
Dave