Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 00:28:34 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ian J Greely <Ian@tirnanog.org>, Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Subject:   Re: DVD kills system

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 04:18:07AM +0000, Ian J Greely wrote:
> I get this with my memorex DVD. READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST.
>
> Was installing FreeBSD from the FreeBSD-Services DVD and it kept doing
> this. From what I can gather it does not happen with all DVD devices.
>
> I had expected it to have cleared in -STABLE and rebuilt a kernel to
> no avail.
>
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:04:29 -0800 (PST), Ross Lippert wrote:
>
> >OK, I ran on different hardware and I get outputs from 'file *'
> >for 5 files now and an error message on the 6th:
> >acd0: READ_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=6f ascq=03 error=04
> >
> >as for the
> >hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
> >in loader.conf, that doesn't affect either machine.

Did you guys miss the post from Syam Gadde <gadde@cs.duke.edu> in this
thread which pointed out two PRs dealing with this issue on IDE attached
DVDs?

Apparently the SCSI DVD handling code does not have issues reading past
the 4GB point on DVDs.  ATA DVD handling code does have issues beyond
the 4GB point.

--
Scott Lambert          KC5MLE            Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html