Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 14:36:02 +0100
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some questions concerning Thinkpad T20

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 05:58:54PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : *) I guess noone has tried to write an IrDA stack yet, so I can't use the
> : Infrared port?
>
> NetBSD has had some code committed to it recently that at least
> partially implements IrDA.  You[*] may want to look at porting it.

To be more specific, it does precisely nothing that has to do with
IrDA.... :-)

What they did is import the driver framework and a driver for the Toshiba
OBOE chipset. The only thing they can do now is get raw frames to
userland, something that FreeBSD is capable of doing since I started
working on it (months ago). (I ported that driver from Linux back then)

The IrDA protocol stack I am now developing, I do from scratch to prevent
copyright problems.

In the meanwhile I had also contacted some vendors informing if they would
be interested in FreeBSD support. Only one has responded, Greenwich
Instruments Ltd. has send me the USB and serial model of their GIrBIL IrDA
dongle.

I don't know about their (NetBSD) plans to also write the stack but it
might be wise to do that cooperating with us.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos				RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/		New Projects Group/TTM