Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:59:35 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG (Robert Watson), jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za (John Hay), randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssh version

> > Eivind Eklund was looking at merging our various localizations forward
> > (including PAM), and I'd really like to look at an upgrade in the post-4.5
> > scenario.  Getting it in before the release is (at this point) out of the
> > question, however.
>
> And this is the crux of the issue. Merging a new vendor version of
> OpenSSH is non-trivial. In addition, there are frequently back
> compatiblility issues (e.g. with configuration files) with new versions
> of OpenSSH. For each person who asks, "Why isn't FreeBSD using the
> bleeding-edge OpenSSH?" there will be several on -stable, "I just did
> an installworld on a remote machine, and I can't access it via SSH any
> more." Creating the potential for problems like this in STABLE is
> bad. For these reasons and others, it is often more practical to patch
> security fixes in the FreeBSD tree than to import fixes (and other
> changes that come with it) from the vendor.

Well I can accept your argument for -stable, although bigger changes has
gone in -stable in the past, but what about -current? My -current boxes
also still claim: "sshd version OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20011202"
And this is the problem, if we don't have -current upgraded we have little
chance in getting wrinkles out and very little chance of it going in
-stable.

Also maybe we should think again about all our local changes and if all
of them are really necesary. If we can ditch some, that will also make it
a lot easier to upgrade.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za