Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:33:30 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greetings from a newuser

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 09:57:04PM -0600, mike e wrote:
> Hello
>
> I recently started using FreeBSD after using Linux for a year or so but not
> being satisfied with the differences in all the diff. distributions.
>
> I have Ver. 4.4 that came with FreeBSD Unleashed book I purchased from
> Sam's Publishing and so far I'm flying through the book and really enjoying

Mmm. The problem with FreeBSD Unleashed is that there are a lot of
typo's (some of which reverse the meaning of what is being said!),
and some misinformation...it also harks forward to Release 5 a lot,
which as we know is not yet ready for Mr Ordinary member of the Public.

Which is not to say it is a bad book, but it has not been well
proof-read. Sadly this is a disease on the increase in Technical
books of all kinds as they get rushed off the press. Even with O'Reilly
books (the creme de la creme of Computer books in my view) you sometimes
find pages and pages of errata when you look the book up on their
web-site.

--
Regards
Cliff