Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:49:02 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dependency question

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 05:21:21PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 15:51, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > This is probably a rather basic question but since I could not find
> > an archive for the gnome list I have to ask.
> >
> > I have a port that I am working on that requires gtkhtml, gal, and
> > gnomeprint.  Now, if I am not mistaken, none of these are pulled
> > in as dependencies in the gnome meta port but are pulled in as
> > dependencies of ports that are called as part of the gnome meta
> > port.  The port in question uses the gnome environment and links in
> > many gnome libraries.  Also, configure calls gnome-config, which is
> > from gnomelibs.  I would like to use the USE_GNOME make variable
> > in the port Makefile and my question is, do I need to explicitly
> > include any of gtkhtml, gal, or gnomeprint as dependencies or is
> > USE_GNOME sufficient?
>
> USE_GNOME will import what you need except for gnomeprint.  If your
> port doesn't need bonobo, you'll have to LIB_DEPENDS gnomeprint.
> USE_GNOME will take care of environment for you as well.

I have gnome installed on my system which makes it hard for me to tell
exactly what the software needs that others may not have, but the
software author says it needs gnome-1.4.  The bonobo libraries are being
linked in so I guess that means that it needs bonobo.  The bonobo port
pulls in gnomeprint as a dependency so I guess I should have bonobo
listed as a dependency.  Does that sound right?

> We are working on a GNOME on FreeBSD site.  We do have a porting
> section underway.  Checkout:
>
> http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome/docs/porting.html
>
> Let us know what you think, and if it helps.

This looks good.  It does not really help with my current problem
though.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net