Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:31:43 -0800
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP multicast time and dhcp

--==_Exmh_-2024915211P

Hi all,

I have a laptop (FreeBSD-4.2-R) that spends a lot of it's time
disconnected from the network.  When I do want to connect it, I kick
off dhclient -- works fine.

I recently set up ntpd as a multicast client and discovered that,
when the interface (fxp0 in this case) is brought up by dhclient, the
machine does not respond to IGMP queries, even though ntpd is
listening on 224.0.1.1.

ntpd is started at boot time (in the standard rc script way), and
therefore fires up well before there is any IP connectivity.  It
seems to me that the machine should respond to IGMP queries, even
though the interface receiving the queries was not up when the socket
was opened to listen for multicast traffic.....

Any notion of why I might be seeing this? Thanks!

		--eli

--==_Exmh_-2024915211P

--==_Exmh_-2024915211P--