Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:24:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improved install-time ports security audit patches

Kris Kennaway wrote to ports@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I've made patches to improve the security auditing which is done at
> 'make install' time for a port.  The new code searches for network
> client/servers by checking for the accept() or recvfrom() syscalls,

Excellent.

> and checks for unsafe functions like gets, mktemp, tempnam, and
> tmpnam (and if you have the PORTS_AUDIT env variable set, also
> sprintf, strcat and strcpy), and reports on their occurrence in a
> binary if they occur in conjunction with the binary being setugid,
> or a network client/server.

Good stuff. I suppose that this may induce some unwarranted (but
possibly useful) paranoia, with harmless/careful uses of gets et.
al... Any idea how many ports are going to generate these warnings?
I'd guess if it's "most of them", the warnings are likely going to get
ignored by many. But, as with the other warnings, when their box gets
rooted, at least we can say "I told ya so". :-)

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon