Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:42:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        forrestc@imach.com
Cc:        absinthe@pobox.com, troy@psknet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tuning a system...

On 29 Jan, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

>> I'm of the school of thought that says you're likely to spend a lot more time
>> making kernel adjustments, compiling and rebooting than you ever would trying
>> to reason with a dynamic kernel or deal with memory shortages, especially
>> with as cheap as RAM is now.
>
> I'll add my $0.02:
>
> About the only thing which I have run across which I regularly run into
> problems with are TCP/IP buffer parameters such as mbufs.  If I tune my
> kernel so I can get insane flows across the internet (DS-3/OC-3 level
> links), I will quickly run out of buffers if I get more than a couple of
> flows going.
>
> I would *love* to see these dynamically sized - the buffer space, not
> necessarily the tcp/ip tuning parameters.

-current (and perhaps 4.5) do something like this already at boot time
depending on the amount of memory (you have to set maxusers to 0 to get
this behavior). It's not dynamic at run time, it's only dynamic at boot
time. And if it doesn't allocate enough for you, you can override it
with your own settings.

Bye,
Alexander.

--