Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:11:31 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnupg insecure memory

On Thursday 31 January 2002 12:05, Thomas E. Zander wrote:

Hi there,

> Hi,
>
> I have now upgraded to 4.5-RELEASE, all applications built from
> scratch, and gnupg tells about "using insecure memory".
>
> Normally, this happens only if the gpg binary is not setuid root.
> But it is, and this message appears to root, too.
>
> Does anybody else see this behavior and has an idea of what's going on
> there?

This is totally normal behavior. Insercure memory means that the pages that
contain you private key data might get swapped. In order to avoid this they
need to be marked as non-swappable (don't remember the exact term, sorry) and
only setuid programs can do it if you run them as a normal user. Not a big
issue I think.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net