Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:33:14 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Kanaly <mike@worklife.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Book Suggestions for a newbie

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

[ At last -- a post that's on topic ]

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:46:06PM -0800, Mike Kanaly wrote:
> I'm wondering which books would be best in explaining what I need from
> freebsd.  I'm a newbie, and I'm planning on using freebsd to serve some
> webpages, provide ftp/ssh access, meanwhile be accessible on my Windows
> network/workgroup.=20
> =20
> I've looked over some options as far as setup goes and all that, and I
> think I'm going to go with the following: =20
>  =20
> The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide=20

Is probably too advanced for your needs.  It might be useful if you're
planning on using FreeBSD on a larger network with many Windows machines
(at which point it's invaluable).

> FreeBSD Handbook, 2nd Ed.

You can read this on the web at

    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

and then decide whether or not you need the dead-tree edition :-)

A book I can personally recommend is Annelise Anderson's

    FreeBSD: An Open Source Operating System for your computer

It's probably right up your street.  I've also heard good things about
"FreeBSD Unleashed", which is a much heavier tome.  I haven't read it
though, so I don't know how 'newbie friendly' it is.

You can get all of these online.  I recommend the BSDMall for these;

    http://www.bsdmall.com/books.html

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h--