Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:50:21 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting sysctl(8)'s in rc.conf

There are a number of rc.conf(5) variables whose sole purpose is to
set sysctl(8) knobs. When I recently changed how the 'log_in_vain'
rc.conf variable worked, it was suggested I remove it completely from
the rc.conf and rc.network. It is something the user should be setting
in /etc/rc.sysctl. For that specific sysctl(8) it seems to make
sense. But what about ones like,

  net.inet.tcp.rfc1323
  net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho
  net.inet.icmp.drop_redirect

Should we drop their support from rc.conf(5) and expect the
administrator to put them in /etc/rc.sysctl too?

Note that some sysctl(8)s should NOT be removed like ones that depend
on modules being loaded by conditionals in the rc-scripts. And there
are others where order is important, don't flip
'net.inet.ip.forwading' and some others until the firewall has
started.