Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:49:25 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Guerry Semones <gsemones@treenleaf.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need info for compiling JDK1.3.1 on FreeBSD with Native Threads

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:14:08PM -0500, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> > The JVM environment should be the program driving the coexisting
> > program.
> >
> > I mean, what did you expect ? ;-)
>
> Wait, what he is trying to do should be compltely possible and a legal
> thing to do. Linux and Solaris allow that. If JNI support works this
> should be possible. Maybe he just needs native threads?

Is it ?

Well, this is the first I've heard of it. Is this how the plugin works
in Netscape and other programs ?

Uh, you can't really call the normal IO functions, read()/write(), etc...
without it piping through the thread system in some way. If it's green threads,
then any function like that the coexistent program uses must go through
that layer of thread-managed wrapped functions and not the normal functions
in libc, etc... I'm not sure of the linking conventions off hand so I don't
know how to export those wrapped functions to a companion program.

Is this what you mean ?

bill