Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:06:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: revised buildworld comparison stable vs current

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.21.0202171034300.39539-100000@InterJet.elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
: please (I know it's a lot of work) try WITNESS turned off too..
: (as it didn' exist in STABLE)

looks like witness was turned OFF.  See below:

: On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
: >     (note: source is NFS mounted.  /usr/obj is local disk.  Witness is
                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^
: >     turned off on all -current builds).
        ^^^^^^^^^^

>>    stable:			1800 seconds
>>    current/invariants:	2219 seconds
>>    current/no-invariants	2142 seconds

So it looks like -current w/o invariants is 19% slower than -stable
for the world-stone.

Matt, is it safe to assume that the same tuning stuff is done on both
-stable and -current?  And that the -current numbers don't represent
building, say profile, while the -stable ones don't.  My gut tells me
they are done the same since 19% is the ballpark of slowdown in
-current I'd expect...

Warner