Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 01:54:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Brian White <bwhite@moab.cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SACK (and older TCP stack) availability?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Brian White wrote:

> To compare against simulation, I'm trying to collect any available TCP
> implementations -- preferably compatible with a
> recent(ish) kernel.  We run 4.3, but could upgrade.  I was hoping to find
> the usual suspects -- Tahoe, Reno, Vegas, New-Reno, and SACK.
>
> I realize this question is probably better phrased in terms of features
> rather than artificial names.  But (please correct me), it seems that
> there are few options to disable TCP features to revert to a previous
> protocol realization.  The most obvious exception is
> net.inet.tcp.newreno.  (At the risk of exposing my naivete, does disabling
> New-Reno leave me with ... Reno?  Or possibly some FreeBSD hybrid?)

Your two choices as of now are Reno and NewReno, toggleable via the sysctl
you mention.  Naturally, neither implementation perfectly follows the
spec(s); I doubt many real world implementations do.  (The fact that
NewReno has multiple variants described doesn't help this much.)

> I tracked a thread from Aug 2001 in which Harkirat Singh announced his
> SACK implementation.  But, this thread seems to have ended prematurely and
> grep'ing for SACK in current does not turn up anything interesting.  What
> is it's status?  Was the 4.3 SACK diff stable?

I never got time to test it, nor did any other committer I'm aware of.
If someone were to do some good testing of the patch and post the results,
that would be highly helpful in getting it on the road to being committed.
Unadvocated patches ususally don't get committed.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack