Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:44:21 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 02:25:09PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Thats all well and good, and I'm beginning to make a "performance tuning" page,
> but just like any topic, one person can't do it all, and it often takes lots of
> people to come up with the right answer to a performance problem.
>
> Eric
>

> Nik Clayton wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:11:41PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > > Who is the correct person @freebsd.org to contact to get a
> > > freebsd-performance (or freebsd-perf) mailing list going?  I think it
> > > would be nice (and beneficial) to get the performance tweaking and other
> > > related stuff into a separate list instead of -questions, -chat, or
> > > sometimes even -security.
> >
> > Would it not be a better idea to collect together these suggestions in
> > to the FAQ, or the tuning(7) man page, instead of on a separate mailing
> > list?

I am not sure how much traffic such a list would generate.

In terms of new lists, I suggested long ago, that the number of
questions on filtering/firewalls/nat and all points east generated on -questions
could easily justify it's own mailing list. Since this is clearly
one of the most confusing, most ill-understood, and frankly
insufficiently documented areas of FreeBSD .. and yet one of it's most
important. I have twice suggested to Crist Clark he write a book on it..
I think he told me he was once approached to do so. But sadly no such
book exists. There are lots of bits of paper flying around the net with
recipes, suggestions, partial explanations etc. But there is no-where
a coherent in-depth discussion of it all.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>