Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:55:06 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD+RW

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:29:02PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> I don't think $400 is insane.. but, everyone has their own limits..

Mmm, you must remember that all things computer related are
much much cheaper in the States than in Europe. In Holland where I live
most things have 19% Tax on them..what I think is called sales-tax
in the States. The EU are even now discussing proposals to put such a
tax on things bought on the Internet. I purchased online a copy of
Partition Magic Version 7.0 from the States, and it cost less than 50%
of what it costs in a shop here...they want to stop that (I am not
exactly sure how they can do that...but they will try). Unfortunately
you cannot do that with harware because it has to go through customs
controls.
The change to the Euro currency in a large part of Europe has also
caused magical price increases. A laptop I bought in December, has
magically gone up in price by about 10% since January, at a time when
I read PC sales are almost at an all time low worldwide.

Doing a rough dollar conversion in my head I think the cheapest DVD
writer I have seen was around $900, but that was some months ago.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>