Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 05:20:29 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

On 2002-03-05 16:54, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > The steeper learning curve of C++ is indeed steeper, not because of
> > some magic property of the object-oriented programming paradigm, but
> > because there are a lot more things to learn, before a complete
> > program can be written, IMHO.
>
> Uh... "Hello World" looks the same in ANSI C and C++, unless
> you insist on using I/O streams and "cout", which no one ever
> really does, unless they are writing a C++ book or trying to
> impress a student.

Well, to be frank, I've seen a few C++ coding style documents, that suggest
avoiding <stdout.h> altogether when writing in C++.  The fact that parts of
the C++ libraries already use the I/O stream classes, which have their own
buffers, combined with the buffered I/O that <stdout.h> does by default,
can and usually does result in all hell being let loose.

But then, I'm probably starting to go off topic here...

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/